Monday, December 1, 2014

Keep Calm and Run On

The company that I work for was selected to run in a race called Hood to Coast.  It is exactly what it sounds like...we are running from Mt. Hood to the Coast.


While I am very excited to take part in this race, I am very nervous about running fast enough (each person needs to average 9:30 minute pace), far enough (legs are between 3 and 8 miles long) and repeatedly (each person runs 3 legs).  In preparation I started using the app Couch to 5k but found 5k Runner to be a better app.  The program has me running for time not for distance.  I started with minute long runs and very long walks.  I am now running 3-4 minutes at a time and walking 1-2 minutes between.  I really like the program but am not sure how much  my pace is increasing.  I have noticed that my cardiovascular stamina has increased drastically.  My pace right now for running is approximately 9:30 minute mile but the average with the walking is around a 12 minute mile.  I have been getting frustrated by my pace.  It is a very good thing the race is not until next August....

 My hope is that by continuing to post (I am only in week 3 of running), each week my pace will increase as well as my cardiovascular stamina.  (The weight loss is just an added benefit :) I also need to be better about counting calories (damn white chocolate covered oreos) and logging calories.

More updates to come...

Side note: I am very happy to be running in Oregon where it rarely snows and the temperature for the most part stays above 32 :) The only down side is the canines and I do not love running when it is pouring rain !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment